On-site consultations may be scheduled at any suitable location such as your farm or our clinic at Foxglove Farm, 8809 Farrington Mill Rd Chapel Hill NC 27516, and using your veterinarian's podiatry radiographs of the horse's 4 feet.
- Consultations by email and phone are also available.
- Consult referrals can come from veterinarians, farriers, or owners.
- "Second opinion" consults are available.
- On-site coaching with a veterinarian and/or farrier is available and can include case work.
Dr. Dick Mansmann (on left in photo) consults with horse owners and their veterinarians and farriers to provide problem assessment and specific rehabilitation plans.
Consultations, which involve a team approach including your veterinarian and/or farrier, are carried out for:
- Lameness - such as due to foot conformation, injury, or management issue
- Hoof defects - such as cracks, wall separations, and white line disease
Consultations are typically initiated by email. Please email Dr Dick Mansmann at email@example.com. If you are a new client, please also complete and submit our online new client form.
On-site consultations are then scheduled and the initial assessment visit conducted.
For email/phone consultations, once the consultation is arranged by email:
- We will request a picture of the horse standing squarely on a solid surface and all feet completely visible - not in grass or deep footing, as well as a picture of the defect[s] in question.
- In addition to photos, we will need downloadable lateral podiatry radiographs of the 4 feet from your veterinarian taken within the prior 3 weeks. Please see the protocol for taking lateral radiographs useful for podiatry assessment.
- We review your information and materials and request any additional information needed. Then we will email to you, your veterinarian, and your farrier our recommendations as well as a marked-up radiograph and/or photo to illustrate the written explanation.
Examples of marked-up radiograph and foot picture
The consultations begin at $150 and include an emailed potential treatment plan with a sketch-over-radiograph and/or hoof picture.
For telephone calls to owners, trainers, veterinarians, and/or farriers there can be an additional $50 fee per call. I often send a follow up email to see how your horse is doing, for which there is no fee.
If cases are or become more complicated and require more time thus increased fees, you will be notified prior to any additional fees charged.
Check made out to Equine Podiatry at the time of service, or - for email/phone consults - mailed to the address above. We also accept credit cards via PayPal.